Friday, March 11, 2011

Pet peeve #2

People who think they're doctors...to the doctor's face.
I don't know if you've ever come across something as frustrating as this in the emergency room, but if you have, you know how annoying it is.  Of the 4 times in my life (not kidding, I can totally remember every time, 1. I was young and had laryngitis.  2. I had to take Steph in because my brother whipped her in the eye with my Grandmother's wheel-chair flag.  3. One of my friends from the University was in and I went to see her.  4. I had to pass through the ER to get to a choral engagement in the atrium) that I have ever SEEN an emergency room, I don't believe it would be too far an exaggeration if I were to say that every time I was there, someone did this.  There are two ways this happens; Someone diagnoses them-self before even seeing the doctor, in which case, you wonder why they even came to the hospital at all?  I mean they had obviously read through an entire Illnesses-For-Dummies to find this diagnosis, and no-doubt read-up on any antibiotics that would be prescribed, so they must know how to make the drug from scratch at home (which brings me to another thought...tune-in to the second-last paragraph).  The other scenario happens just when the doctor calls their name, they get up and start pouring alphabet-soup from their mouth before they even say 'hi'..."I think you should run a CT and an EKG, but first, you should do an OMG because it's totally gonna be a long night LOL!"...this is also quite frustrating.

I don't think I have to explain to anyone of intelligence why this is so frustrating, but incase you are one of the few that do this, I will explain.  This man/woman has sat in a lecture hall for 6 years reading biology texts and medical journals before he/she could even touch a stethoscope...I doubt your Illnesses-For-Dummies book puts you on the same level.  But let's put that fact aside, hypothetically, say you ARE on the same level (intellectually), does that man/woman come into your office and tell you how to do your job?  Didn't think so...just because you are a seasoned Grey's Anatomy buff, or you've seen every episode of House M.D. doesn't make you qualified, or even in the position to make such a judgement.  There must be a reason you came to the hospital, and I doubt it was the food...just let the doctor figure out what's wrong with you.  The only people who should be telling the doctor what to look for are the people who KNOW (and I don't mean you have a feeling, or you read it somewhere, I mean you're actually %100 certain that this is what he/she should be looking for because you have had it in the past) it could be a factor in the diagnosis.  I'm sure doctors feel the same way I do, I mean, they can't actually dig the fact that some know-nothing (about medicine) is coming into their workplace trying to push them around, it can't be attractive to them...in all honesty, I think it is extremely unattractive!  Bottom line, don't do it.  It's annoying and frustrating.  YOU'RE the people the doctor prescribes placebos to hahaha.

Okay, on to that 'thought' you have all tuned-in for!  Referring to the comment about making medicine from scratch.  I had a thought while typing that and started to wonder if the same people do the same thing at the pharmacy?! Can't you just imagine someone leaning over the counter being like "Hey man! Can you sprinkle a little more codeine on that Vicodin® for me?! I don't think 20 is gonna cut it, why don't you put a few more capsules in there...on the house?  You know what, just let me make those, I'm probably better at it anyway!" hahaha I would honestly punch that person in the kidney!

Thank you for tuning in to the second instalment of 'What everyone is thinking, but will not say...'  This has been Master Sinclair coming to you from his bedroom in Edinburgh ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment